Having your teeth whitened is important for improving your smile and self-image. One of the most effective teeth whitening solutions is professional take-home teeth whitening. These are those teeth whitening kits that you get from your dentist to use in the comfort of your home.
Take-home teeth whitening kits are normally composed of a high concentration of either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. They’re a little more expensive than over-the-counter whitening solutions but less expensive than the regular in-office whitening procedure.
Take-home teeth whitening kits come with custom-fitted dental trays, which help to keep the whitening gel on the surface of your teeth and ensure it doesn’t get to the sensitive gum area.
Let’s take a detailed look at the process of obtaining and using professional take-home teeth whitening:
- Your dentist takes the impressions of both your lower and upper teeth with non-toxic dental putty. The impressions are then sent to a dental lab to custom-make the trays. You should expect your trays to be ready in two weeks.
- Meanwhile, your dentist will record the original shade of teeth in your dental chart for comparison with the whitening results.
- When the trays are ready, you’ll need to go back to the dentist’s office to be shown how to properly use the whitening kit to achieve the best results.
- Be sure to thoroughly clean your mouth before embarking on the at-home teeth whitening process. You’ll normally need to perform the procedure for one hour every day for two weeks. Your dentist may advise you to avoid consuming any food or drink while wearing the trays. You’ll also have to wait for about half an hour after removing the trays before you eat again.
- Once the two-week treatment period ends, you’ll need to make a follow-up dental visit. Your dentist will want to evaluate the results and compare it with the original shade of teeth.
Take-home teeth whitening kits are a convenient way to brighten your smile in the privacy and comfort of your home. The kits are quite easy to use and deliver exceptional results. Those who have used this whitening solution have reportedly achieved up to six shades of improvement after a two-week treatment.